Banana Loaf Recipe
The only banana loaf recipe you'll ever want to make - an easy and delicious cake!
8oz/225g wholemeal plain flour
1. Preheat the oven to 160 degrees celsius (for fan-assisted ovens use 150 degrees)
2. Prepare the loaf tin by lining with greaseproof paper
3. In a large mixing bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder and sugar. Stir well to break up any sugar lumps.
4. Add your butter or margarine to the dry ingredients. Rub the fat into the flour using the rubbing-in method. The result should be a breadcrumb-like texture.
5. Add the raisins, the mashed banana and the beaten egg.
6. Mix well until there are no flour lumps. It should look like a thick batter.
7. Spoon the contents into the prepared loaf tin
8. Bake on the middle shelf of the preheated oven for 1 hour.
9. After 1 hour check your cake. The top should have risen and a skewer inserted into the cake should come out clean. Cracking of the top is a good sign.
10. Cool on a wire rack.
11. Slice and serve with or without butter.
12. Will keep for several days in an airtight tin.