The home of easy and delicious banana loaf recipes and a wealth of articles to answer all your banana loaf baking needs.
A moist moreish gluten-free banana loaf cake
Gives: 8-10 slices
8oz/225g gluten-free plain flour
4tsp gluten-free baking powder
1tsp xanthan gum
4oz/110g brown sugar
1lb/450g bananas, mashed with a fork (approx 3-4; weight is with skin)
2 eggs, beaten
Equipment: a 2lb loaf tin (approx 23cm x 13cm x 7cm)
1. Pre-heat your oven to 160 degrees C, Fan 150 degrees C, gas mark 4 or 350 degrees F.
2. Line a 2lb loaf tin with greaseproof paper or a pre-formed loaf tin liner.
3. In a roomy mixing bowl, put together the gluten-free flour, xanthan gum, baking powder and sugar and mix well.
4. Rub the buttr into the dry ingredient mix. Please see our article about the rubbing-in method to see this step-by-step. You should end up with a breadcrumb-like texture.
5. Mix in the mashed banana and beaten eggs. The result should be like a thick batter.
6. Lastly add the raisins.
7. Carefully transfer the mixture to your lined loaf tin.
8. This cake takes roughly 1 hour in the oven. Everyone's oven varies so keep a close eye on it and test with a skewer to see when it is done. You may like to see our handy article How to know if your cake is cooked in 5 steps for help with this.
9. Remove from the oven, carefully lift the cake from the tin and cool on a wire rack.
10. Enjoy sliced as a pudding or for afternoon tea with a cuppa. You can keep the cake in an airtight tin for 3-4 days or freeze it. For more information about storing banana breads, see our article Storing a Banana Loaf Cake.